This is a really honest review of both cameras, but with one addition: I just got the a6400, so it might not include everything that there is to hate or love… I am sharing this from my perspective as a YouTuber and as someone who has worked in photography semi-professionally. I do not consider myself a filmmaker or any other pretentious thing. I am just a person who makes videos. And for that, I want a good camera.
What I hate(d) about the RX 100
- Limit on video recording time (wtf? why, ever, in time, and why no update to remove it? Seriously, f_ck you, Sony!)
- The popup-viewfinder (never use it, too much of a chore)
- Autofocus not for macros (it just never focuses, if you have it in “vlogging” mode, so you can’t switch to shooting some quick b-roll in between
- Not suitable for any kind of slow-mo, don’t fool yourself here…
- The loops to fiddle through a camera strap, what a joke… useless, also: The strap is crap as well (wohoo, that rhymes!)
- No mic jack
What I love(d) about the RX 100
- automatic display brightness (yet never bright enough trololol)
What I don’t love about the Sony α6400
- the kit lens is rubbish but okay rubbish, get an expensive FE lens instead, and some primes (and get over yourself, because expensive gear does make everything better, easier and more fun, those who tell you otherwise are lyyyyying! You want f/2.8 and below, f/3.5 up is for losers)
- The C buttons are crazy
- The menu button is in the wrong spot, just so wrong, wtf…
- No automatic display brightness(?) – Haven’t tested it yet… it only gives the option “manual” or “sunny weather”, but I think it is not truly “manual”… Anyway, not a dealbreaker…
- The battery could last longer, it is at the same level as the RX100, I’d say
- In low light the amount of RGB noise in the display is not true to tue actual noise in the footage (WTF?) it’s better in reality lol… omg… this should be fixed!
What I really love about the Sony α6400
- light for its size, so f_cking light!
- amazing viewfinder and viewfinder automatic!
- amazing display, so sharp and great colors
- The flip-screen is not at all horrible, even though you have to do two movements instead of one, like with the RX100, but I got used to that in less than a day, truly!
- You can remove the SD card and battery without screwing of the mount plate
- mic jack and hot-shoe
- so many options, I can’t even use them
- On/off switch like every decent DSLR has it… (saves a lot of battery!)
- amazing AF (autofocus, but also as f_ck)
Overall, both are great cameras, but I would not buy any camera from the RX100 line again. The Sony Alpha 6400 is a true semi-pro camera. I have used pro and semi-pro Nikon DSLRs for years. I held 10k bucks cameras in my hands. IMO for a vlogger: 100% not worth it, ever. Also Sony has way better software than Nikon and the phone integration is and will always be a blast. Love it!
So yeah, here I am, I did not only switch to Sony, I switched to mirrorless. I am done with Nikon. The RX 100, I’ll probably use it for when I need to record myself holding the a6400 lol. That’s it!